Welcome to Prairie Wind Collection....where you will find all sorts of information, items and things for sale dealing with Historical American Girl Dolls. Welcome to my passion, I hope to help bring your dolls and history to life!

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Let's Start With Felicity

I love colonial America, and Felicity's story,(or Lizzie as everyone called her)  is placed in 1774, just before the outbreak of the American Revolution.  I think I am so drawn to this time, knowing that I had a Great Great Grandfather that participated in the Boston Tea Party, and having lived in the Boston Area, which is so rich in that history!  I'm a romantic, and living in Colonial times, for a young girl as spirited as Lissie, must have been exciting.  Things were starting to heat up with the uprisings in Boston against the British suppression, The Boston Tea Party, the First Continental Congress in Philadelphia, and George Washington, and George Mason, founded the Fairfax County Militia Association, in Virginia, where Lizzie is from.

Last night I started working on a set of undergarments for Lissie.  When I first started looking for material and patterns, I could not find any for pantaletts, pantaloons, bloomers or knickers for that time period.  That is because they didn't wear anything under their shifts!!!  Panteletts did not come into being until the beginning of the 1800's, when lighter-weight materials and hoopskirts were worn.  Covering the legs, provided some modesty on a windy day!!!!  Thought you'd enjoy that tid-bit of information...who would have ever thunk!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment